Friday, March 18, 2011

Trading Mark Teahen

Full disclosure...before I starting writing this, I spend about 20 seconds deciding on a subject. This is what I came up with. It's been a relatively quiet Spring Training thus far (weird, huh?), and Peavy's recovery more or less speaks for itself. But the prospect of trading Mark Teahen is much more interesting to weirdos such as myself. Teahen's torrid Spring certainly won't hurt the cause.

There's been a lot of discussion about the last spot on the Sox' Opening Day roster, and I'm all about Milledge. He's earned it, and he has the upside. I also like De Aza, however, and I think it would be ideal to keep both on board, which can only realistically happen if we can sucker some team into taking on Teahen. Lillibridge seems like a good guy, and it's fun when he makes solid contact every couple months, but the sad reality is that he's simply not a major league caliber player. In fact, he's hardly a AAA caliber player. Sorry Lilli, you're still better at baseball than I am for what it's worth.

Anyways, who would want Teahen? The Phils, perhaps? They're contenders, for sure. But they've got questions at 3B with Polanco's health, and also with Utley. Teahen has played both positions, albeit poorly, in the past. I'm not saying we'd get anything of value from them (or anybody), but we might be able to pull a Scott Linebrink type deal with them.

So who else?

The Angels, maybe? They lost out on Beltre, and Brandon Wood hasn't exactly proven himself. They were suckered into taking on Wells' contract, so it makes them a somewhat easy target. The fact that Kendry Morales isn't likely to be ready for Opening Day (although Trumbo negates that downside considerably) only adds to their need for depth.

The other LA team could be a fit as well. They currently have an aging Casey Blake at 3B, an ineffective Loney at 1B, and Jay freaking Gibbons as half a LF platoon. Not a perfect fit, but a fit nonetheless.

I'm about done here. I'm not sure about the returns, and frankly, I don't care. If we foot most of the bill and get a player with an even mildly realistic chance of being a somewhat reliable utility player or middle reliever...I take it. Like I said, Scott Linebrink.

As many other drunk Sox fans have said before me....Get'er done, Kenny!!!!

No comments: