Friday, December 3, 2010

What about Dayan?

Something that strikes me as interesting in the whole Dunn/Konerko celebration is the future of The Tank. I guess this is a little premature, seeing as Konerko hasn't signed yet, but most people (myself included) think it's a foregone conclusion.

So if Paulie does come back, Viciedo is basically a guy with nowhere to play. I'm high on Dayan. I think he has some serious power potential, and I think he's a victim of his own hype. I also think the Sox feel the same way I do, which complicates things. But with KW saying the Sox are "all in" I think he's basically become trade bait.

I'm fine with trading him if we get full value, but I don't think we can just yet. He doesn't get the credit he deserves. He's a 21 year old kid who raked in the big leagues this year, and all anybody says about him is that he has no patience. I know pitchers will adjust to his free swinging ways, but if he can learn a little bit of patience ....we've got a slugger on our hands. I don't think it's totally unlikely he can become more patient either...he showed that in his second big league stint this year. Baby steps, people!

The same can be said of Flowers, actually. He's probably not quite MLB ready yet, but he's also not two years away. He's another guy that, if traded, we wouldn't exactly be selling high on. I like all the excitement going on right now, but I worry how we'll be looking back on this offseason a couple years from now.

No comments: